Nowadays, a popular way to transfer money is peer-to-peer (P2P) payment apps such as Cash App, Venmo, GreenDot, PayPal, Netspend, Chime, and Zelle. In fact, an estimated 47% of respondents in the US chose the digital over cash when asked to choose between paying someone with cash or an app.
In addition, the growth of P2P apps has increased the concern over data security and privacy. For example, it’s reported that nearly 18 million Americans have been scammed using finance apps in 2020 alone, with fraudsters increasing and adapting to new technology.
As a result, you may be concerned with sharing personal information such as your social security number with Cash App.
So, does Cash App require SSN?
Short Answer: No, Cash App does not require a SSN, but not providing it will limit the features available. You must verify your identity on Cash App to increase your limit. The verification process includes sharing your SSN and other personal information.
- Does Cash App Require SSN?
- How To Use Cash App Without SSN?
- How To Send Money on Cash App Without SSN?
- Can I Order Cash App Card Without SSN?
- How To Verify Cash App Without SSN?
- Can I Use Fake SSN on Cash App?
- How To Delete Your SSN on Cash App?
- What Are The Benefits of Using SSN With Cash App?
- Use Cash App Without SSN Summary
Does Cash App Require SSN?
No, Cash App does not require your SSN, but the app will restrict services until your profile is verified.
Cash App will require you to verify your account so that the app remains secure and free of scams, such as a random person sending money to your account or the Money Flip scam. Like most financial institutions, they request your SSN. Although it’s impossible to avoid scams completely, the added security helps secure your account.
If you do not provide your SSN, your Cash App account will be classified as unverified. Unverified users can still send and receive cash through the app. However, unverified accounts are limited to sending $250 per seven-day period.
Learn if someone can hack your Cash App with just your phone number or tag name.
How To Use Cash App Without SSN?
You can use Cash App without a SSN, but your account is unverified if you haven’t entered your SSN.
Things to do on Cash App without verification:
- Create an account on Cash App.
- The maximum amount you can send or receive in a week is $250, and the maximum amount in a month is $1000.
- Add or link a credit card or debit card to make a transaction.
- Use your virtual debit card to pay at online stores or pay Cash App store without a card.
See our guide on why Cash App can’t link card at this time error.
How To Send Money on Cash App Without SSN?
Using Cash App without your SSN means your identity has not been verified. As a result, you are limited to only sending $250 a week. However, verified Cash App users can send up to $7,500 a week and receive unlimited money.
Here are the steps to using Cash App without SSN:
- Launch Cash App on your iPhone or Android device.
- Select the “$” sign displayed on the home screen.
- Once you’ve entered the amount, tap the “Send” button.
- Ensure the amount does not exceed $250 since unverified account holders are limited in money transfers.
- Enter the person’s details to whom you will send the money.
- Confirm the transfer of funds by tapping the “Send” button.
Can I Order Cash App Card Without SSN?
No, you cannot order a Cash App card without an SSN. Cash App cards can only be ordered and activated by verified users. For example, you’ll need to provide your date of birth, photo ID, billing address, and last four digits of your SSN to verify your Cash App account.
You can still link a debit or credit card with limited transaction amounts.
Learn how to disable your Cash App Card.
How To Verify Cash App Without SSN?
There is no way for you to verify your Cash App without your SSN. Remember that your personal information, such as your birth date, contact information, billing address, photo ID, and SSN, are required for verification.
Remember, Cash App requests personal information under the USA Patriot Act. Therefore, payment platforms, such as Cash App, are required to collect information from users to verify their identities.
Learn if you can track your Cash App card transactions.
Can I Use Fake SSN on Cash App?
No, you cannot use a fake SSN on Cash App. It’s because the federal government and applicable laws regulate the financial platform. As a result, using a fake SSN for your account can result in a permanent ban because personal data is cross-checked for verification.
Therefore, it’s highly recommended to use your correct personal information to avoid issues. For example, you may get a message that your Cash App payment failed for your protection.
How To Delete Your SSN on Cash App?
Cash App offers the ability to delete your personal information, including your SSN. In compliance with the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Cash App lets users control their data.
However, you don’t need to delete your Cash App account if you only want to remove your personal information on the app permanently.
Steps to delete your SSN on Cash App:
- Launch Cash App on your iPhone or Android device.
- Tap the profile icon on the home screen
- Select “Support” and tap “Something Else.”
- Go to “Account Settings.”
- Select “Delete Your Personal Information.”
- Tap “Contact Support” for assistance.
See our guide on what to do when your Cash App card is locked.
What Are The Benefits of Using SSN With Cash App?
Verifying your account with Cash App has several advantages. So, it’s advisable to share your personal information, such as your social security number, to access all its features.
Here are the benefits of using SSN with Cash App:
- Transfer up to $7,500 weekly and receive unlimited amounts of money compared to only $250 transfers weekly for unverified Cash App users.
- Buy and sell stocks.
- Trade cryptocurrency from your Bitcoin wallet address, but not dogecoin.
- Activate Cash App direct deposit by inputting your routing number and account number.
- Direct deposit stimulus or paychecks in your Cash App account.
- Deposit a check via the app.
- Borrow money on the app.
Learn how to link Cash App to your Robinhood trading account.
Use Cash App Without SSN Summary
Although you’re not required to provide your SSN to use Cash App, limited features are still available. You must verify your account to get all the benefits. For example, you must give Cash App your billing address, photo ID, birth date, and SSN for verification.
Cash App is regulated by the federal government and follows all applicable laws to protect your account.
Check our guide on where to add money to my Cash App in person.